Getting Married at Riverview
Because of our casual atmosphere, people are sometimes surprised by the expectations we hold for couples who want to have their wedding ceremony at Riverview or have a Riverview pastor officiate. We carry on a tradition that each marriage ceremony is distinctly Christian. We consider that you are asking us to represent you as followers of Jesus before God, your family, and your friends.
Therefore, we will officiate weddings between men and women who are both believers in Jesus, are choosing to live apart from one another until married, and are abstaining from sexual relations until their wedding day.
You will be asked to sign a Couple’s Covenant that demonstrates your desire to honor God in this way. We realize that this may be uncommon in our culture today, but because of this, it becomes one of the most obvious ways you can show your commitment to Biblical standards. It also honors your spouse-to-be by elevating your desire to live for God during your engagement.
If you would like a Riverview officiant you must participate in Riv’s pre-marriage course. Whether we officiate your wedding or not, you are welcome to take part in this course.
If you would like to have your ceremony at a Riverview venue, you must be a member of Riv.
To request a Riverview pastor to officiate your wedding or to have your wedding at Riverview, please follow these steps:
- Download and read the Couples Covenant.
- Click the sign-up button below to fill out the pre-marriage questionnaire. (Both of you need to fill out your own questionnaire).
- After we receive both questionnaires, Pastor Paul Denherder will review them. He may choose to meet with you one-on-one to discuss some of the questions in more detail.
- After Paul has either met with you, or approved your questionnaire, you will be contacted with the date and times of our next orientation.
- Complete an online assessment that will help us get to you as a couple and place you with a mentor couple. Login information will be sent after you have RSVP’d for the next orientation class.
- Attend a four hour orientation and receive the books and workbook for the pre-marriage course. (This orientation will help us place you with a mentor couple).
- After the orientation, your mentor couple will contact you to setup a meeting time. Over the next couple of months you will work through the workbook with your fiancé and your mentor couple.
The cost of the course is $65/couple (this covers the cost of books and supplies). The online assessment costs $35, this is paid directly to the website that runs the assessment.
For more info, email email@example.com or call the Riv office at 517-694-3400.