Vision & Mission
Riverview exists to proclaim the liberating power of the Gospel as we grow, serve, and go.
We believe that Jesus Christ has set us free from the eternal consequences, guilt, and power of sin. No longer enslaved to our own sinful desires,
- we are set free to walk in step with the truth of the Gospel;
- we no longer live for ourselves, but for the name of Jesus, for the glory of God the Father, through the power of the Holy Spirit;
- we will proclaim this message of freedom until every man, woman, and child in the Greater-Lansing area has repeated opportunities to hear and respond to Jesus;
- we will plant churches throughout the state of Michigan, proclaiming the message of the Gospel from there to our nation and world.
Liberating Power of the Gospel
We believe the Gospel should be passionately proclaimed to all people, so that all who believe may be saved.
We believe in one God who exists eternally in three distinct persons—the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit—each of whom possesses all the attributes of deity and characteristics of personality with distinct roles and relationships. We believe that God has revealed himself as Father, and is to be honored by that name.
We believe the Bible is inspired by God, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God. It is composed of the 66 books of the Old and New Testament, and was written without error in the original manuscripts. It is the highest authority over all other forms of revelation.
We believe God created heaven and earth, man and woman in sinless perfection with dignity of life, in His image. We believe the worship of God is the end for which people are created and abiding joy is only found in God through this life.
We believe the worship of God is the end for which people are created and abiding joy is only found in God through this life.
All followers of Jesus have been assured of salvation and have been set free from the eternal consequences, guilt, and power of sin. No longer enslaved to their own sinful desires, they are set free to walk in step with the truth of the Gospel.
Grace + Faith
God declares righteous all who put their trust in Christ alone, who believe by grace alone through faith alone.
We believe every follower of Jesus should be baptized by immersion as a symbol of their new birth in Christ.
We believe every follower of Jesus should participate in the Lord’s Supper as a symbol of remembrance of Jesus’ suffering, death and resurrection; to celebrate our unity in Christ; and to anticipate His return in victory.
There is no opportunity for salvation following physical death. Both the lost and the saved are resurrected after physical death. The believer goes immediately into the presence of the Lord, and waits for their body to be resurrected to eternal blessing and glory with God. The unbeliever waits for their body to be resurrected to eternal suffering, judgement, and condemnation.
Jesus is coming back to judge all people. When he returns, he will set up his kingdom on earth and rule until a new heaven and new earth are created to be the final eternal home of all who believed..
- We do not retreat from culture, but use discernment so as not to compromise the Gospel.
- We cannot isolate ourselves and families from the evil in this world, nor from other believers with whom we may disagree.
- We believe that the order of creation determines roles of masculinity and femininity based on our sex. We believe that God revealed himself as Father, and is to be honored by that name.
- We believe marriage is an institution created by God that involves the union of one man and one woman in permanent sacred fidelity. This belief does not, however, allow for bigotry or hate, which are sinful attitudes.
- We do not believe in Open Theism (that God doesn’t know the future), nor Universalism (that in the end, all people will be saved).
- We are not nationalists, only desiring one nation to improve. The church has no political affiliation or agenda. Though, individuals in the church may participate in the political governing process to pass laws that are just and moral.
- We are not moralists, only trying to make people “good.” We are evangelists laboring to bring the Gospel to people so that they may be saved.
- We believe Satan and demons are created beings who have fallen, and are now enemies of God. Though they are presently at work in the world, in the end they are all subject to God. We believe that the preaching and propagation of the Gospel is the church’s mandate to defeat the forces of evil.
Join Our Team
Enjoy making coffee and friends? Everyone loves the person handing them coffee, join our team!
join our team
Join our info center team to help people get connected!
join our team
We’re always looking for new musicians to join our Riv bands. Whether you sing, play the drums or the accordion, we’d love for you to audition!
join our team
Riv's Statement on Racism
Racism is a belief, attitude, or action of the inherent superiority of one race towards other races or ethnic groups that produces prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism. Like any other sin, racism can be obvious or subtle; it can be present in human hearts, and also within the systems, institutions, and cultures of society. Since humanity is made in the image of God and bears His glory, we are to love, care for, and interact with everyone with dignity, worth, and value. Racism is sinful because it fails to act in that manner, denying or minimizing the way all people reflect God’s image.
Because Jesus is this fallen world’s only and ultimate hope of reconciliation, we must proclaim the liberating power of the Gospel if there is any hope of reconciliation with our brothers and sisters. As redeemed people, we are ministers of reconciliation, strangers and exiles who lay down our lives for others, speak up for the voiceless, do good works for the sake of our neighbor, and pursue justice in the name of Jesus.
Therefore, at Riverview, we believe the church is called to participate in this redemptive work by calling out the sin of racism, proclaiming the liberating power of the Gospel, embracing diversity, and loving each person regardless of their ethnicity.