Getting Married at Riverview
Riverview can assist you from the time you consider getting engaged all the way through your wedding ceremony, all with a focus on becoming a godly spouse and having a marriage that honors God. Dawn and Marty Valley lead our excellent pre-marriage program with trained mentors and welcome all couples to participate.
Because of our casual atmosphere, people are sometimes surprised by the expectations we hold for couples who want to have their wedding ceremony at Riverview or have a Riverview pastor officiate. We carry on a tradition that each marriage ceremony is distinctly Christian. We consider that you are asking us to represent you as followers of Jesus before God, your family, and your friends.
Therefore, we will officiate weddings between men and women who are both believers in Jesus, are choosing to live apart from one another until married, and are abstaining from sexual relations until their wedding day.
You will be asked to sign a Couple’s Covenant that demonstrates your desire to honor God in this way. We realize that this may be uncommon in our culture today, but because of this, it becomes one of the most obvious ways you can show your commitment to Biblical standards. It also honors your spouse-to-be by elevating your desire to live for God during your engagement.
We can only officiate weddings of Riverview members. If you consider yourself a member, please sign the Membership Covenant found here. If you'd like more info on what it means to be a member at Riverview, Membership classes are offered about four times each year. Click here to see if there's a class scheduled soon.
Whether we officiate your wedding or not, you are welcome to take part in Riv's pre-marriage mentoring program.
We want you to continue to enjoy Riverview as you explore and develop your faith. Your spiritual growth is very important to us.
To request a Riverview pastor to officiate your wedding or to have your wedding at Riverview, please follow these steps:
- Download and read the Couples Covenant.
- Submit the Pre-Marriage Questionnaire online. You can also download it and turn it in to the Riverview office (you and your fiancée each complete one).
- Meet with Pastor Steve Sommerlot, who approves all Riverview Weddings (we will contact you and set-up a time to meet after we receive both Pre-Marriage Questionnaires).
For more info, email Weddings@RivChurch.com or call the Riv office at 517-694-3400.
More Important Riverview Wedding Facts:
- We appreciate wedding requests at least six months in advance, the earlier the better.
- Pre-Marriage Mentoring starts with an Orientation Class and will set you up to work with a Mentor Couple. This is required for Riverview weddings and offered to others. The only cost is for materials ($60 per couple) and an online survey ($30 per couple).
- Weddings at Riverview include the services of a Wedding Coordinator, who will assist you with everything at our facility. She will meet with you at least six weeks prior to your wedding.
Helpful Materials (Click to Download):
- Weddings at Riverview Church
- Submit the Pre-Marriage Questionnaire online, OR download it (and turn it in to Kim Rudnicki in the Riverview office)
- The Couple’s Covenant
- The Elephant in the Bedroom
- Facility Use Guide for Weddings
- Wedding Ceremony Worksheet
- Applying for a Marriage License in the State of Michigan